DH's raise went into effect August 1st, which means the paycheck on August 19th will be the first one with the higher rate. I was kind of hoping it would be the one this Friday, but didn't really think it would. Now I just have to wait and see how much net we will get so I can update my budget template and then work up budgets for the rest of the year. They will be subject to change, but just having a basic one built helps me plan.
Today the weather has cooled off substantially so I am canning chuck roast. After I get off the computer I will have 14 jars going in to the big canner. Then later today I will go to Fred Meyer and get 10 more chuck roasts and get them cut up tonight so I can do it again tomorrow. I have to take advantage of the $3.99/lb sale. They don't have a limit so if I get them prepared tonight and can them tomorrow, I can then go and get another round. Then I will have 42 jars on the shelf and I'll wait until the next meat sale and do it again. I want to have 102 jars of roast beef on the shelf.
I am hoping a decent sale comes up on chicken thighs. I can skin and debone myself, and then can it up. I only want 52 jars of chicken on the shelf. And then I need to think about canning up some of the ground beef we have left from our steer. There is a ton of it still and we need to make room for our hog, because the butcher said it will be a few weeks, but I don't really know what a few means. I am only getting half a hog, since it took so long and they got really big, so now a half is like a whole if I'd gotten it two and a half months ago. It cost $753. I will still have to pay the cut and wrap fee, which is $0.75 per pound, I think. It might be per package of meat. Well, they'll tell me when they are done, but I have budgeted about $300 for it. It might be more, but I can pull from savings.
Once I see how much space I have left in the freezer, I can decide what I want to do about beef, since we are pretty much down to hamburger and a few roasts, ribs, and soup bones. No steaks are left. I may get a half if there is room, or just stock up on a lot of chicken and buy some steaks and roasts as we need them. They just won't be grass fed, probably. Plus, DH's friend's boat is fixed, so they will be fishing soon for salmon. There is some seafood we need to start eating up so there will be room for that, too.
Not much going on in the financial aspect at the moment. Not until payday anyway. Still waiting on the appeal for DD on the insurance front, but preparing for having her to go on COBRA, getting all the paperwork to be submitted and it go smoothly into that as soon as possible. Then we will schedule her MRI of her liver. It is just a follow up from the surgery where they removed the tumor. They want to make sure it isn't growing again and that her liver has regenerated. She's been having some pain in that region again off and on, so hopefully it hasn't started to come back. I would appreciate prayers for that.
My husband, kids, and I all filled out our ballets last night for the primary. We went over the voter's book with them over the last week and we all agreed on who we wanted to vote for. DH is dropping them off at the courthouse drop box after work today. I hope it makes a difference and other people in the state are as fed up as we are, even Seattle. King County likes to screw over everyone else and they usually have the population to do it, but a lot of people fled Seattle over the past three years due to rioting, so we might have a chance to get some sensible people in this year. As sensible as a politician can manage, anyway.