Last night about two hours before sunset, I got my plants in. DH grabbed one of the wrong types of tomatoes. I wanted two Early Girls and a Roma, but he got one Early Beefsteak. I don't buy beefsteak tomatoes because they always take so long to produce here. Same reason I don't buy Brandywines. I've tried them once or twice and they basically start turning red in October, so they take up a lot of garden space with little production. But I've never seen an early beefsteak before so hopefully it will produce earlier in the season.
I wish I had more space to grow tomatoes, but with the way everything is going so slowly, I'm not even sure we'll get green beans in on time. I got my peppers in, then planted basil in what will be the understory of the other plants. I put the blue Veronica and the Red Rock Yarrow in front of the cosmos. I don't know how big the Veronica will get, but I know the Cosmos will get taller than the yarrow, and if the Veronica gets bigger than that I will have to transplant it elsewhere. I have enough space for one more flower to fit in, it just has to be one that deer hate, like the others I've done so far.
After that I planted my green and yellow zucchinis. I planted them at the distance of their mature size. Too often in the past I've crowded them because the space is so big and it looks naked until the zucchini grows, but crowded plants slows down production and sometimes will block sunlight to the plants that weren't as big as some of the others. So this year I am giving them room and making sure they are far enough from the cucumbers that they don't block the light to them. That was a big problem last year. Even after a lifetime of gardening, I still find myself learning things.
I had to look up when to harvest garlic, since my garlic stalks are so tall. I found out that each leaf represents the outside paper for the bulb, so if there are ten leaves there will be ten layers of paper to protect all the cloves inside. I've never had great luck with garlic in the past, but I planted it at the right time in the fall and it has done beautifully, growing like it was in an Alaskan summer with 20 hours of sunlight a day.
My onions are coming along nicely, too. They are not quite ready to start bulbing, but I see a little swelling near the bottom of the stock, so maybe another week or two. And I think the bunching onions will be ready to start harvesting pretty soon.
Oh, and another fun fact I found out. Elephant garlic isn't true garlic. It's actually a leek. Isn't that weird? Because it bulbs like garlic and tastes like garlic, but it isn't garlic. I think that is kind of cool. Just one of those facts you stumble upon when searching for other aspects of garlic.
We didn't get the zucchini cages made yesterday as DH went down hard last night with the head cold. He's not doing the greatest today, but he slept all night. He said he will manhandle the fencing wire over to where I need it and he'll help me form the curves, but that may not be until tomorrow. I am hoping for tonight, but I am not going to push him as I know how bad the first two days of this cold can be. And even though I am somewhat better, I still fell asleep for 3 hours in the middle of the day, so I am leaving it up to him.
I do have to at least water. Even though the soil was very moist when I planted, and the plants were wet from being watered at the nursery and store, I would like to get a good drenching on everything. We've had light sprinkles, but as my grandfather always told my mother, a farmer can't count on the rain to water deep enough.
The drip hoses I ordered arrived in the mail on Saturday, so each bed will now have a 50 foot hose in it, which is enough to go down, cross the back, go back up, and then across the front and then I will attach a hose to it to go to the faucet, which has a four way hose splitter. That way I can do the three 22 foot long beds and then set up a sprinkler for the strawberries. We will run a hose from the other side of the house to set up a sprinkler for the potatoes. The blackberries already have a drip hose on them and uses the hose from the back of the house as well. So we should be set for watering with as little difficulty as possible.