Home > Windfall


June 18th, 2018 at 09:11 pm

MIL gave us $5000 yesterday. I have a lot of mixed feelings about what to do with this money. The strongest emotion says to stick this right into the Emergency Fund. That would bring it to nearly two months of expenses. It has been very hard having it down so low. And we still don't know what the future holds job wise. His job with this company keeps getting extensions, but we are living 3 months at a time, it seems.

Another part of me feels like we should throw it at debt, we are supposed to be throwing everything there, but DH and I both feel weird about taking money from his mother to throw at the loan to my mother. Yet at the same time, we both want that debt gone. It has been hanging over us too long and prevents us from saving for our future. I also don't know how my mother would feel about taking that money if she found out where it came from, which I have no intention of telling her, but she's nosy and has a way of finding stuff out. We are not telling the kids about this money. So if we do decide to pay it to her we might stretch it out over a few months so it doesn't come in a big lump.

Another thing we could do is open a Roth IRA. Probably a spousal IRA since I have nothing saved for retirement at all and I'd feel better if some was in my name, too. If we were out of debt, that is likely what we would do with the majority of the money she is giving us, open a Roth for both of us. But we aren't. I know once we are out of debt we can really contribute, so it comes back to that. It always comes back to paying off the loan.

There are a few things we could really use the money for, like I need new glasses, and we need new rabbit cages, and DH would like a new laptop or at least to have the money available to get one when his laptop gives up the ghost, which it has been threatening to do for the last year or so. It would also be nice to get DS into a driver's class so he can actually learn how to drive. DH hasn't had the time to teach him and my brain hasn't been in the right place to do it, either.

But I know we can get by with the old cages and that we have started a fund for the laptop. We need to find the time to teach DS to drive even if DH has to do it on the weekends. The glasses I can probably afford to buy outright in another month out of our medical fund, but my eyes are really, really bugging me and my prescription has changed a lot so the temptation there is strong.

So maybe we put $4000 into the EF and I get my glasses, and the rest of that $1000 we put into the laptop fund. Then when we know for sure what the situation is long term with DH's job, maybe we can take the remainder to throw at debt.

I do know that MIL plans to give us another $7000 this year. She's given us $6000 so far. I am not sure when that will happen, though. At that point we will have to figure out what to do with that money all over again.

Maybe with the momentum we make on debt in these next several weeks with all the overtime, it'll hyper focus us on getting the loan gone, or maybe it'll make it easier to keep it in the Emergency Fund.

I really don't know how people manage to stay gazelle intense on debt payoff if they are worried about future employment. We've got to figure it out though, if we ever want to be done with this and save up for a house and contribute to retirement. Right now buying a house again seems so far out of reach.

I'm not sure what we are going to do. I think for now just let it sit in savings until we are more sure of what we should do and have had a chance to discuss it more.

What would you do, not knowing if you had a job past the end of August, but things seemed somewhat promising? Wait until September? That probably makes the most sense.

7 Responses to “Windfall”

  1. crazyliblady Says:

    In light of the uncertain job situation, I would put the bulk of it in emergency savings and leave it there. You do need to pay off debt, but it would be hard to do that if you don't have funds to it.

  2. CB in the City Says:

    I vote for the EF, too.

  3. Dido Says:

    Same here. If you pay the debt down now, that feels good now, but if the next contract renewal doesn't come through, you'll be very glad to have two months worth of expenses/breathing room in the EF. When things are uncertain, sometimes you just need to kick the can down the road until there's a period of greater certainty.

  4. snafu Says:

    Since you asked...Another voice for EF. Sorry if I missed explanation, why is there pressure to pay the loan? Mom knows DH's current employment lacks permanence. From an out-of-country perspective, you share a duplex-like arrangement, mother is not alone required to cope on her own should something go awry.

  5. LuckyRobin Says:

    Snafu, because she is driving me crazy with her passive aggressiveness about it and we don't want to have to live here forever. We want to be able to start saving for our own house and working on our retirement. I'm just sick of owing her anything.

  6. creditcardfree Says:

    Dave Ramsey says if there is a storm on the horizon you should save. I agree, put it into the EF.

  7. rob62521 Says:

    I can understand you wanting to get away. Hopefully this windfall will help you with bills and an emergency fund so you can do just that.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]